Emma-Sophie on going out with her class mates

Before leaving for Beijing

A few things to do before you leave for Beijing.
Download the guide

Find out how to get around in China and gain an insight into the area where you will be studying.
Welcome to Beijing guide for SDC Master's students.

What you learn from studying at SDC?



Q: Do I have to pay tuition?
A: Tuition is 40 000 RMB a year. Please read the following carefully to see if you have to pay tuition to attend the programme.

Danish citizens
You have to pay tuition if you at the time of application are not enrolled at a Danish university. However, you may be eligible to receive the Danish “Udlandsstipendium” to cover your tuition fee. To find out if you are eligible, please go to SU-styrelsen. Most Danish citizens will be eligible.

You do NOT have to pay tuition if you at the time of application are enrolled at a Danish University – either in a Bachelor programme, a full Danish Master's programme or a Danish supplementary course in connection to a Danish Bachelor or Danish professional bachelor programme.

Non-EU citizens
For all non-EU citizens the tuition fee for all MSc programmes at SDC is
40,000 RMB a year.

EU/EØS citizens
You have to pay tuition if you at the time of application are not enrolled as a student at a Danish university either in a Bachelor programme, a full Danish Master's programme or supplementary courses.
However, if you are equated with Danish citizens, who are required to pay tuition, you may be eligible to receive the Danish Udlandsstipendium (scholarship for studying abroad) to cover tuition.
To find out if you are eligible, please go to SU-styrelsen (The Danish Education Support Agency) for more information.

You do not have to pay tuition if at the time of application are enrolled at a full Danish Bachelor programme, a full Danish Master's programme or a Danish supplementary course.

Q: Will I receive SU when studying at SDC in China?
A: The SDC Master's programmes are all approved for SU (the Danish state educational support). To find out whether you are eligible for SU visit the website of the Danish Education Support Agency.

Remember to make sure your study grant is correct. You are responsible for informing the State Education Fund in all matters like enrollment at another programme, interrupted studies, documentation of study activity, extended time of study, notification of illness etc.

Q: How do I apply for SU?
A: If you are eligible for SU (the Danish State Educational Support) you can apply via SU-styrelsen's (The Danish Education Support Agency) on-line Fast Track. Choose "Kina", then "University of Chinese Academy of Sciences" then click "søg".
(Please note that the official name of the MSc in Omics is Master in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology/Bioinformatics/Genomics).

Q: How expensive is it to live in Beijing?
A: The cost of living is relatively low, and as a student it is possibly to live fairly comfortably even on a tight budget. To get an idea of the price range, check some of the ‘cost of living’ indexes, e.g.

Q: Are there any scholarships available from SDC?

A: There are no scholarships available from SDC. Students are encouraged to apply for grants from private foundations etc.

Living in Beijing

Q: How do I get a visa and residence permit?
A: If you get accepted into one of SDC's Master's programmes you will have to apply for a student visa at the Chinese embassy in Denmark. All Visa applications to China go through the Chinese Visa Application Service. You will apply for an X1 visa for studying in China. You will need the following supporting documents when applying:

• Admission Notice from UCAS.
• Visa Application form for Study in China (Form JW201 or JW202) from UCAS.

Please be aware that you cannot apply for your visa before you’ve booked a flight and received an admission notice from UCAS and a Visa Application Form (JW-202). The Danish SDC Office will send you these documents.
It is not possible to arrive in Beijing on a tourist visa and change it into a X1.Visa in Beijing/China.

Q: Where can I live?

A: SDC offers dorm rooms on campus at a very favourable price. We encourage you to stay in the dorm rooms to experience the unique social aspect of studying and living together with your fellow students. However, if you prefer to rent an apartment we recommend you do it through a private real estate agent.

The Master's programmes

Q: Do I have to speak Chinese?
A: No, but in order to help you to an easier everyday life in China you will be offered to join language courses in Chinese alongside you studies. This is an optional offer and not a mandatory part of any of the Master's programmes.

Q: What kind of certificate do I get in the end?
A: Upon completion of a SDC Master's programme you will obtain a double MSc degree with a certificate from the responsible Danish University - e.g. University of Copenhagen - and a certificate from the University of Chinese Academy of Sciences.

Q: What grading system will be used?
A: You will be given two grades for each examination result - one following the Chinese grading scale and one following the Danish grading scale.

Q: Who are my teachers and fellow students?
A: The teachers of SDC Master's programmes come from all the Danish universities as well as UCAS and others. You will be studying with students from all over the world, but mainly from Denmark and China. The programmes are taught in English and all examinations will be carried out in English.

Q: When will the programmes start?
A: The programmes begin in September. Ultimo August you will have the opportunity to take part in the introduction week in Beijing. During the week you will receive valuable information concerning your stay at SDC, China and the study programmes. It is also a great opportunity to meet the other students and to get acquainted with Beijing, SDC and your new life away from home. We therefore strongly recommend all students to participate in the introduction week.

Q: When, where and how can I apply?
A: The application deadline for the SDC Master's programmes is 1 March. Each Master's programme is lead by a Danish university e.g. University of Copenhagen together with the Chinese university UCAS. To apply you will have to follow the procedures of the leading Danish university as if you where to apply for admission to any other of the university's programmes.

Q: Where will I receive my lectures?
A: All lectures and classes will be given in China at UCAS' Yanqihu Campus in Huairou District, Beijing. In 2017 SDC moves into it’s own brand new building at the campus.

Semester calendar